CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 24, 2013

Shakespeare's Macbeth

Lincoln Center Theater: Vincent Van Gogh once claimed that the 17th-century Dutch painter Frans Hals used 27 shades of black. I think that Scott Pask, the set designer for Macbeth, may have Hals beat. I'm exaggerating, of course: until I see all the elements of the set in place on the Beaumont stage I won't be able to make an exact reckoning. But there's no question that a panoply of dark hues will be part of this Shakespearean evening.

1 comment:

Emily Bordelon said...

This sounds like a great production. My high school back home is currently putting on a production of Macbeth as well and I've been looking at their pictures from the show. Their's does not compare to the design of this show, but I am nonetheless proud of how well their show is going. The design of the one being performed in the Lincoln Center sounds marvelous and like it has a high design quality. I like how the darkness represented in the plot is physically manifested in the scenery and costumes.