CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Seattle Mariners Move Eight Million Pixels

c2meworld.com: The biggest LED video screen in baseball burst onto the scene in the Seattle Mariners’ Safeco Field last April and the fans were knocked over by the size and the super high resolution. ANC Sports teamed up with Panasonic on the project, and the firm’s CTO, Mark Stross, gave us a look at how this behemoth is set up and controlled. - See more at: http://www.c2meworld.com/distributiondelivery/seattle-mariners-move-eight-million-pixels/#sthash.RBmdmLzi.dpuf

1 comment:

E Young Choi said...

Reading this interview, I was very surprised by the change in number of pixels, from 100,000 to 8,300,000. Looking at the picture, too, I can see how high and clear the screen would look like. Baseball, which is my favorite sport, is one sport that I really love watching at a stadium. Whenever I go to LA stadium in CA to see baseball tournament, I am amazed by all those entertainment and display on the screen to keep the audience interested. However, although I can see how the giant screen can help people seating far to see better on what is going on with zoom-in shot, I don't see any other good reason why they had to spend so much money to create this screen. It seems like it will just be another showing off element in the stadium. However, the whole point of coming to the stadium is to see the sports, not the giant screen that displays names of players and scores. I think it would have been better to spend the money to maintenance of the field or seating areas for the comforts of both players and audiences rather than competing whether the Cowboy has the larger screen or not. Besides that, I want to applause Panasonic for trying this project.