CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Musical embraces the spirit of Queen

TribLIVE: Freddie Mercury would have loved “We Will Rock You.” The flamboyant lead singer of Queen, who died in 1991, will be there in spirit when the rock theatrical opens Oct. 29 at the Benedum Center. “These are Queen's greatest hits set into a story in a theatrical context,” says Rick Hip-Flores, musical director and conductor for the show. Hip-Flores will conduct an eight-piece rock band that will accompany the action onstage.

2 comments:

Nathan Bertone said...

The Musical "We Will Rock You" is taking one of the most interesting routes to Broadway that I have ever seen. Coming directly from London to the USA, this show chose to tour the country before attempting to move to Broadway. I think this is incredibly smart of them. The show may not be the best thing I have ever seen, but it is definitely an interesting "jukebox" musical, and I think that it could be just as successful as "Jersey Boys" or "Million Dollar Quartet". Much like "Rock of Ages", this musical is something that audiences who love a certain type of music will enjoy. I have had the pleasure of having worked with the lead, Brian Justin Crum, and can definitely say that the show is in the hands of an incredibly talented man. I am excited to see where this show goes after the tour, and if it is successful on this tour or not.

dharan said...

I personally love Queen, however I was not impressed by "We Will Rock You".
Being a jukebox musical, I felt as though the plot line was very weak and quite cheesy. I didn't think the characters had any depth.
I didn't like the whole futuristic landscape that the depicted. It felt plastic and silly. The costumes I felt looked like nylon Halloween costumes.
Also I just hated that they kept Bohemian Rhapsody till the end of the show.
I was really disappointed by the musical and I'm surprised that it's been playing for more than 12 years.