CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 23, 2013

Call for Student Submissions for the School Days Series

HowlRound: HowlRound held a conversation for students and faculty last year at Emerson College to discuss the creation of a theater commons. The conversation, however, quickly turned to how the school’s theater community reflected our view of the American theater community. We spent some time working out which companies and productions mirrored the styles and reputations of Broadway, regional theater, and community theater, and struggled with familiar questions: How could the theater department, which sometimes felt isolated from the rest of the college, reach out to other departments? How could more students take advantage of the opportunities to work with the professors and artists that the school offers? How can we diversify the casting and shows so that more people of color, different genders, sexualities, and other under-represented groups are included, to better reflect the world around us and the liberal values of Emerson College?

1 comment:

Adelaide Zhang said...

I definitely want to keep up with this series. For me, going to school for theater and theater alone used to be an entirely foreign concept. My parents both have PhDs for scientific research, and for the longest time I always associated college with math and science, while art was a hobby. I never really expected to go to a theatre school, but now that I'm here I feel somewhat obligated (and also very interested, of course) to know where I stand as a student and in the industry, seeing as theater is where I've decided to invest my future.