CMU School of Drama


Monday, August 26, 2013

BWW Reviews: GERTRUDE STEIN SAINTS at the Fringe Turns Avant-Garde Opera into Glee (in a Good way)

www.broadwayworld.com: Dressed all in white, singing like angels and dancing like the devil, the 13 performers of "Gertrude Stein's Saints" are young, energetic, talented, and, let's face it, hot enough to be cast in Glee. (One of them, Jordan Phillips, has already appeared as a guest star on the TV series.) What's most remarkable about this ensemble, all of them drama students at Carnegie Mellon University, is that, instead of covering songs by Journey or Rihanna, they have composed original music and turned two inaccessible avant-garde operas into a rousing entertainment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is quite a great review for this spectacular show. I saw the show when it was only "Four Saints" at CMU. While watching the show, I was definitely confused about what I was watching. After the show I went home and was awed with what I had seen. But I knew that it was something to watch because it was just so incredible. What I think made it so incredible is that it was all original music sung by 7 talented men. When I heard it was going to the fringe and adding girls it will become even better, and reading this article I realize that my thoughts were correct.