CMU School of Drama


Monday, July 22, 2013

The Little-Known History of Chuck E. Cheese's Animatronic Theater

Tested: You never knew exactly what was missing from your life, but it was this: a first-hand account of the history of Chuck E. Cheese's, greasy home to a million childhood memories. If you're at all in the know about the history of video games stretching back to the Atari days, you may recall that Atari founder Nolan Bushnell also founded the pizza-and-games-and-animatronic-animals joint. If not, surprise! Chuck E. Cheese's and Atari sprang from the same mind.

2 comments:

Kate Fester said...

Wow! I can't believe it's original name was Coyote Pizza, then it changed to Rick Rat's Pizza! There is so much that I didn't know about Chuck E. Cheese! The history of behind why it was a pizza joint instead of anything else makes so much since now, it is all about the timing and schedule. As a little kid, I went to Chuck E. Cheese fairly often, but I never really thought about how or why it came about. Also, since Chuck E. Cheese was created in 1977, the animatronics at Disney were a newish technology and weren't as great as they are today. A pizza theatre had never existed before Chuck E. Cheese, they were the first ones! The article attached to this one explains more about the history and some of the mechanics behind the characters in the show. I will never think about Chuck E. Cheese in the same way again after I know the history and what the original names were!

Unknown said...

Chucky Cheese was my childhood. I never had much interest in Atari but that's suprising. I wouldn't have connected the two. Those animatronics were crappy though and I'm not very impressed. Those things scared me.