CMU School of Drama


Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Future from Where You Are Now

TCG Circle: Every semester, I ask my Introduction to Theatre students a question about innovation. Imagine what theatre will be like 20 years from now: what will you be seeing? What technological innovations will influence productions? What are ticket prices? And, every semester, I get one or two students who vehemently assert that the next generation of theatre will be revolutionized with the introduction of 3D technology. After I’ve deducted points, lived through the pang of guilt that I’ve failed them as a teacher, and reminded them that their life is in 3D, I find myself sympathetic to the reasoning (however flawed it may be) behind their answer. In those students’ minds, and I think in the minds of many, theatre is not nearly as technologically sophisticated as film. It makes sense that in twenty years “lowly” theatre would be finally “catching up” with what’s hot in film. And, think of what that merge will finally do! I mean Warhorse was great, but can you imagine if the horse was CGI? Mind = blown.

No comments: