CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, May 08, 2013

In Southern Discomfort, Elisabeth Gray plays a host of Southerners

tdf.org: The Broadway production of Breakfast at Tiffany’s closed yesterday, but you can still see a play it made possible.
That’s because Elisabeth Gray, who was a Tiffany’s understudy, used her paycheck to finance the New York run of Southern Discomfort, her solo show about Southerners coping with small-town life. (It runs on Monday nights in the basement of the Soho Playhouse.)
Broadway cash wasn’t Gray’s only reason for mounting this production. “I really did need something that was all my own, so that I wasn’t just standing in the wings and watching someone else’s performance,” she says. “When you’re understudying, your responsibility is very much to not claim ownership of any of the roles [you're responsible for.] You have to say, ‘This isn’t my role. This isn’t my performance. I’m here as a human safety net in case something goes wrong.’”

No comments: