CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Heroic Theatergoer Smashes Cell Phone, Gets Thrown Out

Gothamist: We can't count the number of times we've wanted to enact vengeance on some inconsiderate audience member whose cell phone goes off during a performance. But, like most people, we just bottle that fury up deep down inside and take it out on the break room vending machine later. Not Kevin Williamson. Last night the National Review writer was in attendance at the marvelous new musical Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 when one theatergoer's incessant cell phone use finally drove him over the edge... into vigilantism.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a member of the younger, upcoming generation, I can personally attest to using my cell phone throughout the day, and often when I probably shouldn't be. But I have been raised in a family that when you go to the theatre or any performance, you silence your phone AND put it away. People of my generation tend to think as long as the phone does not ring during a show, it is okay. This is wrong. Any distraction from the performance on stage (sound or brightness) is stopping me from watching the show, and potentially me missing an important part. My generation does not have the respect that my parent's generation has for theatre or the one before theirs. Many theatre-goers are afraid of this upcoming generation, but if house managers and ushers would enforce this properly, the entire audience would be able to enjoy the show.