CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 26, 2013

The play's the thing for villages in India tackling real-life dramas

Kevin EG Perry | Global development | guardian.co.uk: Sibaguda is a remote tribal village in southern Odisha state, in the east of India. There are just 49 households, and cows are frequently herded through the main square. The electricity supply has been disrupted by a broken transformer and the only road has fallen into disrepair. What Sibaguda does have, in common with many tribal villages, is a central meeting place where theatre is performed. Now, thanks to one particular performance, a school is being built here for the first time.

2 comments:

DPSwag said...

This is truly amazing, this reminds me just how strong of an impact theater has on people, no matter the culture. I remember collecting money for UNICEF in elementary school, but I had no idea that they funded theater-based projects. I'm really happy that the School of Drama has its own version of outreach with Growing Theater, and I love knowing that there are people who want to share and give to each other and use theater as a vessel to express how much they care. Programs like this showcase how theatre plays an immense role in communication and expression of compassion for your fellow man.

Unknown said...

I think this is another great case of how theatre is not just for entertainment. I think there are a lot of other villages around the world that are using theatre to educate. Much like Emily Mann's theatre of testimony society has the power to change theatre and theatre change society. we work in a reflexive are and I think that is really powerful. I would love to help with programs that change the environments of towns like this.