CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Should Alan Cumming beware the curse of Macbeth?

Stage | guardian.co.uk: There's an episode of The Simpsons in which Homer and the family visit London. Walking past a theatre, they encounter Ian McKellen, currently appearing in Macbeth. Unaware of the theatrical superstition that Macbeth should not be mentioned by name, Homer says the title of the play and McKellen is promptly struck by lightning. As the actor leaves to get ready for the performance, the family wish him good luck – so unwittingly breaking another theatrical taboo. The long-suffering star is promptly hit on the head by falling masonry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From the beginning of my theatre experience, I was exposed to these theatrical superstitions, and at this point in my life, they've become instinctive. Do I believe in them? Well, yes. Maybe it makes me way behind the times, or maybe it makes me just plain crazy. But through my experience I've grown to belief in these superstitions, especially the "Scottish Play" myth. I think that this article is purely publicity, and I think that the theatre asking of people to not say the word is a little bit much. I mean, when I go to see live theatre, I choose to not say that word. But, most people who go to see Shakespeare shows, aren't "theatre people", but just people who like Shakespeare or are dragged to see a show. It's a bit much to ask of them to follow our superstitions. Then again, if the producers have such a strong superstition, I myself am superstitious and have little room to judge, but they do have the ability to make that request of their patrons.