CMU School of Drama


Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Royalty Pool

Law Offices of Gordon P. Firemark - Top Los Angeles Theatre & Film Entertainment Lawyer: One of the most confusing terms in theatrical production agreements is the discussion of the “Royalty Pool”. This provision in most Broadway and Off-Broadway production contracts, and increasingly in other commercial theatre situations, is usually presented as an alternative approach to paying the creative and business personnel who participate in royalties.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well this is a cool idea, although ultimately it seems that the royalty holders have less reason to agree to this as they are losing out and are the ones with most of the power here. If as a royalty holder I can agree to suffer as the show suffers and profit as it profits I am doing what seems to be much more helpful in that I am helping the show succeed. But if instead I gain more from demanding every cent I can, why wouldn't I. I can see lots of people doing this, but I don't really see any huge companies asking for anything less then the most possible.

Jenni said...

This seems like a really good idea, though I can see why people wouldn't want to agree to it. Agreeing to less money with the chance of maybe making it big is often a hard thing to ask people to do, but from the sound f the article is benefits everyone and increases the likely hood that a play will find investors. In the long run it is a better option.if everyone is more concerned with making money then allowing the show the ability to find investors, a show may never get investors and that's that. anyways, designers and directors are part of the show, so if the show is suffering, the royalty members should be as well.