CMU School of Drama


Sunday, March 31, 2013

SXSW 2013: A Roundup of Topics and Trends… and Cats

Technology in the Arts: Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College, home to Technology in the Arts, recently hosted an official party for SXSW Interactive and Film 2013. The Austin, TX, conference/festival is often referred to as “Spring Break for Geeks,” because it offers technology industry professionals a chance to immerse themselves in the latest innovations while being served free alcohol every time they turn around. The CMU party, which we gave the tongue-in-cheek name Innovation City: Tomorrow’s Destination… Today, was co-hosted with the Pittsburgh Technology Council, and we used the late night event as an opportunity to showcase our city’s rising position in the modern U.S. economy. Pittsburgh was recently named by the National Venture Capital Association as one of the top cities for tech startups.

3 comments:

april said...

This seems like a pretty cool event. It seems to have equal parts education, new technology awareness, and fun. I think it is great that there are events such as this that people can go to not only to learn about new technologies and such, but also to meet other people that share the same specific interests that they do and even learn from them as well as the machines or software. I think that is one of the greatest things about being a part of the cmu community it that there are so many different avenues of learning that go past just the books. I have learned so much from getting to be in an environment where my peers know and excel in different things than I do.
Its also interesting that the emphasis this year was on hardware instead of the usual software, I wonder if that was a fluke or says something about the way certain areas of technology may be changing in different ways than others.
I my self have never been to much of a technology nerd, I tend more towards the book nerds, but I think it would be interesting to visit an event like this just to see what new things are out there now and how they work.

Brian Alderman said...

SXSW seemed like a fascinating event! I hadn't realized that CMU and Pittsburgh played a role in it. The 3D Printing and start up craze is definitely hear to stay, and Pittsburgh is on the forefront. It makes a little bit of sense that Pittsburgh did well at an event that was more hardware focused than previous years- our history is about making physical things (i.e. Steel), so hearing that we might be migrating more towards computer hardware is an exciting, somewhat poetic advancement.

The cats though..... not sure what I think about the cats.

Olivia V. said...

3D printers and cats. Sounds like I need to get my butt to SXSW right now. But actually there is a #D printer in GHC. It's on the desk in my workstudy office aka the 9th floor copy room, and i could watch it for HOURS. It is seriously so cool. It's just a dinky little one, nothing like the ones at TechShop, but the things it makes are so remarkably retailed and intricate. Watching them be built, layer by layer, line my tiny line of melted plastic, is astonishing. As for the cat video festival - ya id attend that in a heartbeat. hell, I'd be a VIP. I love cat videos. Cat videos are my JAM. Wait actually, how can i get tickets to the next annual cat video festival?