CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Straightening Combs at Pittsburgh Playwrights

Theater Reviews + Features | Pittsburgh City Paper: Discontent with hair is just the beginning of the female self-image problem. Oh, I remember only too well the scorching heat and burning chemicals used to try to force some semblance of a curl into my resistant locks. Noted local actress-poet-playwright Kim El channels that and many other memories in her autobiographical one-woman play, Straightening Combs, presented by Pittsburgh Playwrights Theatre Co.

1 comment:

JamilaCobham said...

From the article "Straightened Combs" reminds me of another play "The Kink In My Hair". I can identify with the topics that I am sure Kim discusses throughout the performance; however what is amazing is that these issues are still prevalent today. Black people still have issues with their hair and actively seek out expensive solutions to altering it (weave, relaxer, wigs etc.) The show sounds interesting, I wish I could see it.