CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 30, 2013

Performance art is thriving in Boston

Theater & art - The Boston Globe: On March 27, Raphael Montañez Ortiz will probably not take a hatchet to a piano on stage at the Museum of Fine Arts. But he might do just about anything else. Ortiz, a pioneer of performance art with the group Fluxus, and part of a movement called “destruction art,” famously destroyed a piano on Johnny Carson’s “The Tonight Show.” Now in his 70s, the artist will oversee a destruction concert at the MFA. Liz Munsell, assistant curator of contemporary art and MFA programs at the museum, is coy about exactly what will happen at the event, “WHAT DOES FLUXES HAVE TO DO WITH IT.” Local performance artists who do vocal work will participate. Otherwise, all Munsell lets on is this: “It involves paper bags and paper shredders.”

3 comments:

Nathan Bertone said...

I'm elated to read this article. Boston, MA has, and always will be my native land. I am not surprised by anything that this article says. Boston has truly become an amazing environment for art and theatre and is constantly producing unbelievable works that go to Broadway or that stay in Boston and captivate audiences daily. I love what the art scene in Boston has become and I am extremely thankful to have been raised in such a beautiful and thriving area. I hope that performance art continues to thrive in the coming years, and I hope that when I am out of school, I may be able to become a greater part in the theatre/performance art scene in Boston.

rmarkowi said...

I love reading about local (to me) art things. For years I had the feeling that I was in this anti-art bubble: I had been to the museums and seen some things, but the feeling of being overshadowed by New York was always present. It's cool to hear about things like this, new experimental art/theatre, happening near me, in places I've been. I hope I get to see some of this when I'm home.

Unknown said...

In the vein of performance art throughout Boston you can see people performing everywhere, They mostly are found around the major tourist destinations and stand there completely still and painted white. I think it is interesting that performance art is getting a place other than the street. I know in some cities like New Orleans there is a commission that regulates street performers and as they become more popular are able to go other places in the city. I think it is interesting how things like performance art can be regulated.