CMU School of Drama


Sunday, March 24, 2013

‘Othello: The Remix’ a brilliant, hip take on Shakespeare’s classic tale

Chicago Sun-Times: To cut to the chase: “Othello: The Remix” — the 90-minute, lightening-fast, hip-hop version of Shakespeare’s tragic tale of jealousy and self-doubt, is absolutely brilliant, and immense fun. The show, which wholly reimagines the original, is now in its U.S. debut at the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre Upstairs. Written, directed and musicalized by Chicago’s Q Brothers (with help from Rick Boynton), it was devised for London’s 2012 “Globe to Globe” Cultural Olympiad, and subsequently toured to Edinburgh and Germany. And while it has been “transferred” from Renaissance Venice to 21st century America, it turns out to be every bit as faithful to the play’s core meaning and message as poor Desdemona was to Othello.

4 comments:

simone.zwaren said...

So I am starting out this comment saying that is my second on this post, but I dont think my first one went through so here we go again:

I really like the different interpretations of Shakespeare. It is cool that people are able to take such widely known stories and present them in unconventional ways. Sleep No More was huge because it was weird, unusual, and exciting experience. Audiences love to experience the "ext new thing" and maybe the next hit is a fusion of hip hop and theater! I would want to see this.

Unknown said...

Although this sound like the author really like this production of Othello, it does not appeal to me. I don't think this I would find transforming the words of Shakespeare into a rap song, a transformation that stretches Shakespeare too far. One great thing about Shakespeare the fact that his works can be changed and changed and changed to just about anywhere, or any time, or nowhere with no time. However I still like to think of Shakespeare in what would be called a "traditional way". I may not go to a production like this but all the power to the company for making a bold choice an going for it.

Unknown said...

I think any Shakespeare having an original take is extremely interesting...

I have not heard of this concept and would be interested to see it. Based on its popular reviews it is an interesting piece. I think it is interesting that this is going on in Chicago with R&J here taking on an urbanized interpretation, I would love to see the similarities between the two.

DPSwag said...

I've never seen or read Othello, but I have done a production of Twelfth Night set in the 1960's as a tribute to the Beatles. That made the material much more accessible to the high school audience we were performing for. I think taking Shakespeare's meter and transforming it into a genre of music that's contemporary for this audience is a smart way to bring Shakespeare's words back to life. The production could do with being a little less cheesy, though.