CMU School of Drama


Sunday, March 03, 2013

Civic Theatre production finds common strains in love stories

TribLIVE: Greensburg Civic Theatre offers theatergoers a sentimental Valentine with its production this weekend of Joe DiPietro's musical revue, “I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change.” The show being staged at Greensburg Garden and Civic Center explores the many emotions of love — from excitement and insecurities to joys, tears and passion, says Alyssa Bruno, one of the six actors in the cast who divvy up the personalities of more than 20 featured characters.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As someone who is easily entertained, I would make a terrible theater critic. All theater (or movies) has to do for me to come out satisfied is make me happy. So I'm a sucker for romantic comedy, comedy or just things with happy endings. Not that I don't enjoy shows like our performance of Spring Awakening, just that happy shows don't need to be well done for me to leave happy whereas other shows do. I bet I would have loved this show. I imagine the actors play some parts better then others but overall I'm guessing it falls into my easy to please categories.

jgutierrez said...

Well one of the great things about theatre that makes our craft enticing to audiences is the fact that it is often relatable to the human experience. In fact, I'd say it would be difficult to produce a popular work if it weren't relatable to humans in some way. Sure, the theme of love is a popular one in most works, but it is because it is something that everyone will deal with at some point or another. I, like Isaac, enjoy romantic comedies as do many other people. This show in particular lays humor over a more serious issue, and that is quite possibly why it is a loved one.