CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Their business really is a Circus.

The Producer's Perspective: Who doesn’t love a little Cirque du Soleil? I remember the first time I saw “O” in Vegas (and yep, I said first time, because I’ve seen in multiple times). I spent most of the evening with my mouth wide open, wondering how the $#&@ they came up with this stuff. (I was actually lucky enough to dine with “O” Director Franco Dragone in Belgium a few years later and heard some of the amazing stories about how he did come up with that stuff – and it was one of the most inspiring dinners I’ve ever had).

1 comment:

E Young Choi said...

It is sad to see how Cirque is going through this kind of hardship where there must be an action like this in order to continue their shows. Like the writer of this article, my first encounter with the show in Vegas was totally mind-blowing. I could not imagine how they came up with awesome ideas with well-structured plot too. I understand that one must RUN a business with a whole lot of love in order to keep the business working productively. I also understand that Cirque has tried to expand too much with few outside investment other than their productions. I think a decent of amount of reason for their downturn is because of exceeding budget because they are trying to show more and more. However, I see this phenomenon as inevitable because people do not tend to rewatch the show over and over, so audience will eventually reduce. Also, unlike what the writer says about Cirque needs more love, I disagree because I can see their passion and increasing effort everytime there is new production. I wish that Cirque can manage its financial issue and continue to amaze audiences with their mouth wide open.