CMU School of Drama


Saturday, February 09, 2013

Recording: In The Studio: Top Ten Must-Have Tools For Post Production

Pro Sound Web: Whether I’m working on corporate video, documentary, or independent film, there are several go-to tools that help me to transform the raw sound into a living, breathing complete soundtrack that makes an impact. I’m an in-the-box kind of guy, so all my tools are software plug-ins for the audio programs that I use (Sony Acid, Sound Forge, and Vegas Pro with a little Reaper thrown in, too). Often times I’m sked exactly what plugins I find essential to my workflow, and everyone loves a list, so here’s my top 10 must have audio tools for audio post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As with anything in audio, a lot of things are subjective. It's very nice to know what tools you have available to you and what they can accomplish, but when it comes down to it different people have different methods for accomplishing the same end goal. It is always interesting to look at the different methods people have to get to the same endpoint. I did know and understand most of these tools before reading the article, but some of them such as the expander and de-esser, were slightly new to me, as they are more common in post-produciton work and not live sound, where I have most of my experience.