CMU School of Drama


Sunday, February 03, 2013

Cast members connect to Founding Fathers

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: The Post-Gazette asked the cast of Pittsburgh Public Theater's "1776" to write a sentence or two about connecting to his or her history-making character, and each of the 26 actors obliged with researched references and anecdotes -- all of which came as no surprise to director Ted Pappas. "They are always writing down notes in rehearsal, and they come in with things that they've read, they've Googled or seen on TV. My desk is piled with things from the cast that they've given me about American history and their characters."

1 comment:

Brian Alderman said...

There is some good research in here, and you can tell that the actors carefully researched their parts. I think, however, that the many moments in there that the actors mention that their part in '1776' isn't actually true leaves a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm glad they're reminding me that this is dramatized... but at the same time I almost with they didn't. It breaks the illusion a bit, and doesn't connect with the story.