CMU School of Drama


Saturday, February 02, 2013

'Aladdin' tries out in Toronto

Variety: Disney Theatrical's upcoming Broadway production of "Aladdin" has mapped out its road to Gotham, setting a tryout run in Toronto this fall prior to a spring bow on the Main Stem in 2014. The Toronto and Broadway staging will be a new production separate from the 2011 preem of the two-act tuner at Seattle's 5th Avenue Theater. Many of the Seattle production's creative team will remain on board, though, including helmer-choreographer Casey Nicholaw ("The Book of Mormon"), while Bob Crowley ("Mary Poppins," "Once") joins the project to design new sets.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

So I'm thoroughly excited for this show. Knowing disney's track record for turning their classic films into movies is great. the lion king is still one of my favorite musicals. The only think I'm a little nervous about it that the book is written by the writer of elf (mind you elf was already "ehh" so he didn't have a lot to work with) but elf the musical was not good. That aside, the rest of the plans for the show sound good. Though I'm surprised that they are doing previews out side the country.

JamilaCobham said...

Aladdin is my favourite Disney cartoon. I must have watched it a million times when I was younger. Finally they are getting the musical together. Hopefully when it gets to Broadway it isn't extremely expensive like The Lion King.

DPSwag said...

I'm so excited about this. The original cartoon movie was totally awesome as it was, so I'm wondering how they'll incorporate the songs from the earlier drafts of the movie into the show, and how that will effect the technical elements of the show, as well as the storyline of the staged version. I don't doubt that their budget will be equivalent to The Lion King, I'm hoping that this'll make for another awesome classic Disney broadway show.