CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 24, 2013

America’s Theatre, By The Numbers

Howard Sherman: Many people, and I count myself among them, often find themselves trying to quantify the totality of theatre activity in the United States and, within that, to delineate differences between the various sectors: commercial, not for profit, educational, amateur and so on. While absolute figures may prove elusive, there are a handful of studies that provide a reasonably good picture of professional production, lending perspective to any discussion about the reach of theatre in America.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This article is very interesting to me because it proves what I've had a hunch about for years. During my freshman year of high school when I started doing stage management I still considered Broadway to be my only career goal. But, by the age of 15, I had a feeling that Broadway wasn't really the only (or best) career goal. I did a lot of internet research about colleges and about regional theatres and LORT and I really just wanted to learn about what else was out there. There's a large amount of theatre that's done out there, and it's not "bad" because it's not Broadway. There are some people who, at this age in college, still believe Broadway to be the best career option. I accept that it's a nice job with a relatively high paying salary, but I also accept that it's not the end of the world not working on Broadway because there are plenty of theatres in America and around the world that do quality theatre, that pay, and are nice jobs. There are opportunities in theatre outside of the "Great White Way", and by comparing the numbers presented in this article it is absolutely clear.