CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 01, 2012

'Zarkana': Not your father's Cirque production

Entertainment / Neon - ReviewJournal.com: Talk about getting it from all sides. "Viva Elvis" will go down in history as the first certified failure, the undisputable blemish on the amazing success story of Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas. But the president of the company caught hell from his own father for closing it. "My dad was shouting at me. ... He didn't get it. 'What are you doing Daniel? That was my favorite show. I loved it,' " recalls Daniel Lamarre, the Montreal-based company's CEO.

3 comments:

Luke Foco said...

I understand that in las vegas there are an amazing number of great shows but to say that Elvis is a failure is something that surprises me. It has run at better than 80% for its entire run. I do think that Zarkana will run at better numbers than Elvis but Elvis I think caught a different audience than their other shows. With Zarkanna I would be worried about further saturating an already saturated market with another spectacle show with Cirques acrobatics.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that Zarkana has an acrobatics focus. One of the reasons that Mystere is one of my favorite Cirque shows it because it reflects Cirque's roots as a performing circus, not a technical spectacle. While the spectacle of show like KA is amazing, what truly makes me enjoy any Cirque show the most is the talent of the artists.

I hope that Zarkana really is the new Cirque show that fits for the new Las Vegas. The typical Vegas crowd is getting younger and younger, and shows like Viva Elvis just don't quite appeal to the younger generation. While it is sometimes unfortunate because it leads to getting rid of great places and shows, all companies on the Las Vegas Strip have to continually evolve and change their shows/properties in order to appeal to the masses of the young tourists who are spending money on the Strip right now.

seangroves71 said...

Zarkanna is a fantastic reminder of where cirque's roots lie, with one of the biggest trapese riggs built and the infamous wheel of death. It is a fantastic show and I have no doubt that it will do well at the aria. What grabbed my attnetion was the opening date of the Cirque movie. December 21... well Glad to know we will have something to do that day