CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Opera Theater Presents Mildred Miller International Voice Competition, 11/3-4

pittsburgh.broadwayworld.com: Aspiring singers will be showcased in the real life drama of two vocal competitions Nov. 3-4, Carnegie Mellon University’s Carnegie Mellon Institute Auditorium, 4400 Fifth Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15213. Both professional and amateur singers will compete for opportunities for prize monies and roles in Opera Theater SummerFest’s 2013 season. For a second year, Anna Singer, WQED-FM mid-day host and music programmer, emcee for the Mildred Miller International Voice Competition for emerging professional opera singers and Opera Champion of Pittsburgh for regional amateur divas and divos.

1 comment:

Sonia said...

I have to say that I had no idea how renowned Mildred Miller is. I mean I have friends who study under her and interact with her on a daily basis, but I never really realized who she was. I think it is great that these sorts of competitions exist and are giving these young singers the opportunity to showcase themselves. On a side note I love that classically trained musicians and singers are always around. Since, unlike in straight theatre, it does not really matter how much older they get, it is their voices and their talent that carries them through. I mean Mildred Miller is 88 for goodness sake! Its great that she can still shape the singers of tomorrow after being in this business for so many years.