CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 29, 2012

'Newsies' Wins Actors' Equity Award for Outstanding Broadway Chorus

backstage.com: While major theater awards organizations focus on the best lead and supporting performances each year, at least the stage actors' union recognizes its own hardworking chorus members who toil outside the spotlight. The cast of Disney’s Tony Award-winning “Newsies the Musical” will receive the Actors’ Equity Association’s Advisory Committee on Chorus Affairs’ sixth annual ACCA Award for Outstanding Broadway Chorus, Equity announced today. According to Equity, this award is the only industry honor of its kind, recognizing the original chorus members of a Broadway musical.

2 comments:

E Young Choi said...

I always wanted to see Disney's Tony Award winning "Newsies the Musical" if I had a chance. Now, looking at the article saying how the original chorus members of this show were awarded Actors' Equity Award, this makes me more fascinating because this definitely proves how well the chorus is organized. I think at the area of theatre, most of time, the main character usually gets the most spotlight. However, it is glad to see that a chorus, as a whole, gets a full recognition. Also, I believe their talent should be fully acknowledged too by giving an award since working as a team and making perfect, organized collaboration is what makes the show perfect. I think this award should keep acknowledge more hardworking chorus members of a Broadway musical who 'toil outside the spotlight.' In addition, I want to see the wonderful chorus of this show one day.

Jason Lewis said...

Bravo! I love Newsies so much and I'm so happy to see their talented chorus receive such a nice award. They deserve it. Not only did they have amazing vocals to work with but they had to work with them while flying through the air with crazy dance moves. I also am just happy to see Alex Wong receive an award because not only is he from Miami, like me, but he was an amazing dancer on so you think you can dance and I'm just happy to see that he is being recognized for this talents.