CMU School of Drama


Sunday, November 11, 2012

J-O-B Scenic/Lighting Designer

finearts.academickeys.com: The Department of Theatre and Dance at Salisbury University is accepting applications for the tenure-track position of Assistant Professor — Theatre and Scenic/Lighting Designer. Primary Job Duties: Scenic/lighting design, development and budget administration for 3 – 4 theatre and 2 dance main stage productions, teaching 4 undergraduate theatre courses per academic year. Advising students and supervising practicum crews. Completing creative/scholarly activity and providing service to the Department, School and the University. Budget, report, collaborate and interact collegially with a variety of constituencies. Utilize an effective teaching style that supports a diverse student body.

2 comments:

Ariel Beach-Westmoreland said...

I find it intriguing that there is a job posting for a scenic/lighting designer specifically. In general, my understanding was that it would be more the norm to see a costume/scenic designer scenographer position available. I am also curious as to the situation that implores a company to see out a multi design designer. Cost is absolutely a factor, but the needs of the company or production might as well. Or perhaps the theater knows of a scenographer, then hires them for both elements. I wonder how these hiring decisions are made...

MONJARK said...

I never thought of Ariel's point. It is an interesting grouping, but I think arguments can be made to combine two design areas into one position for a variety of factors. Depending on how you create the representation of design/what your skills are, you might be suited to go towards two areas that are not traditionally seen together. It is always interesting to see how the work of a scenic/media designer differs from a lighting/media designer. Very interesting...thanks for rattling my mind, Ariel.

The original thought I had following this article was how there continues to be theatre positions at so many schools, because as I see it, drama classes are classes a lot of students want to take. It is also a major that I see many people pursuing, even if they do not want to pursue it as a career. Every time I see a position available for a professorship in drama, it reminds me how many students are pursuing the same major as me, and how high the demand is for good teaching talent.