CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 02, 2012

Homewood native Billy Porter kicks up his heels in 'Kinky Boots'

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: A couple of Saturdays ago, I'd just gotten out of an airport cab at a boutique hotel in the Loop, when I did what Pittsburghers often do -- I ran into a former Pittsburgher, visiting from California. So right away we made plans to see another Pittsburgher that night, a friend of many years starring in a big new musical working out its kinks on the way to Broadway.

2 comments:

Jess Bergson said...

While this author is obviously biased towards his friend, this article shows a great camaraderie between natives to Pittsburgh. After only living in Pittsburgh for a few months, I read this article and felt a sense of pride myself for Billy Porter, the lead role in 'Kinky Boots.' I found myself rooting him on along with the author of this article. Maybe that is more pride for my school than pride for Pittsburgh, but nonetheless, I hope Porter succeeds in his upcoming Broadway run with 'Kinky Boots.'

Nathan Bertone said...

I am very excited to see how successful this show becomes! I have been very excited to see what this musical is about for a while now. I enjoyed reading this article and I am also had a sense of pride for Billy Porter. I guess that simply comes with the territory of attending CMU. I hope I get a chance to see this on Broadway. I would love to see this CMU alum doing what see critics have been saying will earn him a Tony Nomination! Crossing my fingers that he will, and that this show succeeds!