CMU School of Drama


Saturday, November 03, 2012

5 Top College Film Programs Outside of L.A.

backstage.com: Thanks to tax credit incentives, Los Angeles is no longer the only city in the country where one can pursue a career in film and television. More and more movies and series are shooting on location in cities such as Austin, Texas; Santa Fe, N.M.; and Atlanta, Ga. Here are five colleges that not only offer a solid performing arts education but also put students on the scene when it comes time to film next year’s blockbuster or indie hit.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

I was hoping that this article would be about the actual programs for film making and how they differ and make an impact on their students education. Unfortunately it wasn't. However, it got me thinking on film education. What do people who want to study film and make it a career need to do in order to fulfill it? I know hard work, dogged determination, and perseverance top that list, but STILL. I feel like more and more movies that we see are from the same people and sure you hear of new up and comings but is that the secret? Just keep trying? You'll get it if you really want it? I don't know it all just seems really sad and frustrating.

AbigailNover said...

I agree with Sonia, I would have liked to read more about the actual programs. I'm really curious what a college film program is actually like and see what overlaps there are with a theater program. I knew about all five colleges on the list, but I only knew one of them even had a film program, and I barely even knew anything about that one. I only know about a few total and they are in L.A. I am wondering how important location is as a factor in choosing a school when interested in specifically pursuing film. When I was looking for theater programs I often got the question - isn't it best to be in NYC? I think the answer to that is no, but I have the same question regarding film. In recent years there have been a lot of news about new regions becoming popular filming locations, but it still seems pretty sparse outside of LA.