CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 24, 2012

Insane Olympic Zip Cam

projectionfreak.com: I was a shooter long before I was a projectionist so watching the olympics takes on a whole different significance. I use a robotic camera system where I work and robocams have been a fascination of mine for years, starting with the venerable Sony EVI-D30. My current rig is 3 Vaddio HD19′s but they pale in comparison to some of the robotic/wire cam work of the London games. Watching women’s rowing the other day, I kept noticing the cut-away shot to the overhead camera. At first I thought maybe blimp or aerial cam, but on the dolly shot from shore it was clearly a wire cam. Then I looked at the length of the race- 2500m! What the hell kind of rigging would you need for over 2.5 kliks of distance on a wire cam????? Well- two x 95m high towers and 2500m of cable- that’s what. Pretty sure this is a record……

2 comments:

AKennard said...

This is a great use of technology. As someone who watched a large portion of the Olympics, which included rowing. The shots they were able to capture and how fluid it always seems was very impressive.

Also just to string the cableing out for 2500m to make sure you can have fluid shots for the entire race. Some well done planning was put into this project, which created some great results.

Robert said...

It is amazing the amount of distance that they are able to get out of a system. I would love to see how they did this because there is a lot of support than just the camera would need to work and still be able the broadcast a live feed. The tension that they must have to put all the cables under to hold up the equipment must be so great and then the towers that must hold this up must be extremely strong. The winches that are moving this must be huge having to move this entire assembly at 70 km/h. Watching the Olympics this year made me notice that the support technology is a lot different than just 2 or 4 years ago.