CMU School of Drama


Thursday, July 19, 2012

Managing The Magic: "Having a Plan B is highly overrated"

managingthemagic.blogspot.com: I'm not your typical artist manager. And this isn't to boast; in fact, by most measures it's kinda crazy what I've chosen to do. For the last 5 years, I have exclusively managed Here II Here. Now, as Here II Here recently broke up, I'm exclusively managing Here II Here's main songwriter / vocalist, Ash Ruiz. What's more, I went on tour with the guys (more like I TOOK them on tour) for most of 2009/2010, and now I rent a 2-bedroom apartment in North Hollywood with Ash. It seems I'm an "all-in" kind of manager.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I admire that Bryan, author of Having a Plan B is Highly Overrated, feels so passionately about his work with Here II Here that he works ONLY for them however, I can't help but be concerned. Since he has only had experience with Here II Here, if lead singer, Ash, were to decide that the path he was following was not quite right for him and left Bryan would be in a tight spot. I think it's good to haave some sort of backup plan if things don't turn out quite right. This doesnt mean not focusing on Plan A but keeping in mind a Plan B.

Emily Potter said...

Bryan has an interesting point in this article, that Plan B should really be the new Plan A. Making a Plan B while still working on Plan A is a cop out for him, the kind of person who likes to go "all in." I share the philosophy that life can and will work out fine when it twists toward the unexpected, but his absolute single mindedness makes me wary. There always has to be a little bit of doubt in a persons mind when it comes to life plans and careers. Bryan has a fantastic stance, because really, putting in 100%helps get the most out of life. But a backup isn't a bad plann either.

Zach Hall said...

Bryan's "Having a Plan B is highly overrated" showed a very interesting side to managing. Being quite honest, I didn't really know all that much about the managing world. I really found it cool to see a somewhat unusual managerial case first. Do I agree with the whole not having a plan b? I'm not really sure I do, but the concept and belief put into his plan a I found admirable.