CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The importance of theatre in an electronic world

CNN.com Blogs: “Ladies and gentlemen, the performance of [title of show] will begin shortly. Please turn off all cell phones and electronic devices. Thank you, and enjoy the show.”
The lights are dimmed, the first few notes from the orchestra are played, and the curtain is raised. I take a big, slow breath as the first moments of a Broadway show begin. Only the stage exists, time dissolves. I’m lost in the Magic of the Theatre.

1 comment:

K G said...

It's really a shame when audience members decide to use their phones or other electronic devices during a performance - and at the same time I can understand the itch. But there is a difference between having the urge and satisfying the urge. It's a bit compulsive to look down at ones phone these days - and that compulsion doesn't go away just because we are at the theatre. However, self control is a huge factor here. Yes, I might want to check my text messages or my e-mails, but I don't. I realize that most anything which could be happening in my life at that moment could wait two more hours. And that it is rude and disruptive. And that I paid to be where I am. And that I might find something much more valuable in what's live in front of me than what would be in front of me on a screen.