CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 23, 2012

Pine-Richland brings out fun in 'Wedding Singer'

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Who knew "The Wedding Singer" could be so much fun? I didn't -- and I saw it on Broadway (2006). Or maybe I didn't because I saw it on Broadway. It was OK, but there was a caustic edge to it, making the New Jersey setting seem overly condescending -- an attitude Pennsylvanians share with New Yorkers, come to think of it. Then I missed the PNC Broadway Series tour (2008) and Pittsburgh Musical Theater (2009) version, or at least I think I did. I might have seen its greater appeal then. I never saw the original 1998 movie.

1 comment:

njwisniewski said...

I think this is great! The whole point of wedding singing is that it's certainly not the most glamorous business, it takes people who might have ambitioned to be rock stars but realized that there dream may be impossible, but still keep going in the tackiest and craziest of venues and situations. A wedding singer has to leave his pride at the door, and entertain in big milestones of real people, making each experience as special as it can be (even when the best man shows up drunk to his brother's wedding and berates the happy couple, making the WHOLE situation awkward.) Maybe I'm a little biased because my dad back in his glory days, played in a wedding band, and always is chock filled with stories to tell me about way back when, good, bad, and ugly! The movie is also one of my favorites. I think I like it so much because it has so much heart, it's low budget and has cliche ending (Robbie Hart chases Julia on a plane sings a song he wrote for her), but that's what makes it so sweet. I think thats why this high school production of it was so well liked-- they where playing in a middle school auditorium with barely enough room for a band to play, and yet, that didn't stop them. They had to much heart to let the lemons life keep them from putting on their annual musical. And they had a great time doing it. And all the while, they made it work for them. I think this is just a lesson that sometimes we need to step off our cloud and realize that life isn't perfect, sometimes our hair is poofier than we want it to be, sometimes our actions might go under appreciated, and sometimes we have to sing at a Bar Mitzvah before we can sing at Madison Square Garden. But the difference is at least we embraced it, and not let the "drunk best mans" ruin the fun of enjoying the little things and experiences that make living life so special.