CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 26, 2012

NFTRW Weekly top Five

Here are the top five comment generating posts of the past week:

Tweet seats deserve to be booed out of the theater

arstechnica.com: Marketers, when they hit, can identify the seed of a product, service or organization and plant it in fertile soil where it will grow like mad. They can tease out the implications of the object they're charged with publicizing or find the motif that others are most likely to riff on. But when they fail, they can fail in the most mortifying fashion. All around the country, the marketing staff at live performance spaces big and small are embracing the "youthquake" in the grooviest way I've seen in years. They are offering up "tweet seats" to the kids.
It is an operatically stupid idea.
<-- Comments Here

Let’s Talk About Tumblr

Technology in the Arts: Tumblr has not been discussed here in over a year, which I believe to be an egregious error. Since it’s undergone some significant changes since our last post, let’s revisit this microblogging platform (which is one of my personal faves). Our original post covered the basics of Tumblr, so if you haven’t checked it out, maybe that’s a good way to get up to speed.
<-- Comments Here

Facebook Agrees: Employers Should Definitely Not Be Asking For Your Passwords

The Consumerist: We weren't the only ones shocked to find out that employers have been asking job applicants or in some cases, actual workers, for the passwords to their Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts. Facebook has issued a statement addressing that practice, calling it "alarming."
<-- Comments Here

Sweatbox, the insane, behind-the-scenes documentary Disney doesn't want you to see

io9.com: Watch a Disney production originally spearheaded by the mighty Roger Allers (right off of Lion King fame) with a soundtrack by Sting and the voice talents of Eartha Kitt, David Spade, and John Goodman crumble into the wasted opportunity comedy The Emperor's New Groove.
<-- Comments Here

An Open Letter to Carnegie Mellon School of Drama

The Ghost Light Collective: When I showed up at CMU on a one-year postdoctoral fellowship at the Center for the Arts in Society, I never dreamed I would wind up as a tenured professor here. But the faculty of the School of Drama gave me a shot. And I am so proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish together. I won’t pretend it wasn’t difficult, but I owe the faculty and staff of the School a tremendous debt. Through a combination of their openness, energy, and support of my ideas, and their forbearance with my mistakes and personality flaws, we have been able to grow the curriculum and the opportunities for all students in significant and lasting ways. I’m proud of the part I played in that, and I think that with your continuing support these seeds may continue to bloom in enriching ways. Personally I think the department is entering a new golden age; the sky is literally the limit.
<--  Comments Here

No comments: