CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Make Our Garden Grow, apropos the Arts Blogger Challenge

Likely Impossibilities: “New York has long been considered the cultural capital of America. Is it still? If not, where?” So asked Spring for Music’s Arts Blogger Challenge, which is having a contest to locate "America's Best Arts Blogger." (Apparently this includes a Food division.) The first challenge is to answer this question. To start with, I’ve lived in the greater NYC orbit for most of my life. I love and hate many things about New York, but don’t see the point in waving its flag over other American cities that I don’t know much about.

1 comment:

Pia Marchetti said...

I think it's a bit more than coincidental to find two articles (this one, and "No Entry" - posted directly above this one) written for the same contest, on the same topic, with essentially the same message. I think I agree. The discussion of culture shouldn't be focused around what city is "the cultural capital of America." Rather, we should all be exploring how culture can be spread around the country (and the world).
Picking a winner isn't going to help anything. Recognizing what arts / cultural programs work where and why might help, because then we could start to apply those tactics to other cities, ranging from the size of New York or LA to my hometown, Greenfield Ohio (which is severely lacking in culture indeed).