CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Matched third party content. Entity: rumblefish Content Type: Musical Composition", but no music in the video

YouTube Help: I posted a video which is basically just me walking and talking, outdoors, away from any possible source of music.

And apparently youtube identified my video as containing copyrighted music from a company called rumblefish. I filed a dispute, and now I'm waiting for said company to respond to it. Is this a freak occurrence? I feel pretty violated by this, a mysterious entity claiming to own my content and apparently profiting from it with ads. There are birds singing in the background in the video, could they own the rights to birdsong?

1 comment:

Pia Marchetti said...

According to the brief internet-snooping I did online, Rumblefish is a "pioneer in music licensing," and "has been a trusted provider of music for top TV shows, films, ad agencies and video games for over a decade" From what I can gather, you can buy music from Rumblefish for on-line video for $1.99. Then, when YouTube recognizes the soundtrack as Rumblefish's property, Rumblefish gets the ad revenue.
This all seems relatively fair to me, though I think its kind of sneaky that Rumblefish gets both your $1.99 and the ad revenue. Why YouTube thinks that this guy's video has any content belonging to Rumblefish... I don't know. YouTube has been going insane with copyrighted content lately. It's getting ridiculous at this point.