CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Karl Jackson Chief Audio Technician, United States Marine Band

Pro Sound Web: When Karl Jackson applied for the position of chief audio technician for “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band (USMB) fresh out of DePaul University in 1995, he really didn’t think he’d get the job.
Founded in 1798 by an Act of Congress, the USMB is the oldest continuously active professional musical organization in the nation, with a stated purpose of providing music for the president of the United States and the commandant of the Marine Corps.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

This article makes me laugh because when I first told my father I wanted to do theatre, his response was 'well you could always go and do something with the Marine Corps Band'. I really liked this guy's story, I think that it is cool to see where he came from, and that he wasnt actually looking for a career in the military. I like that he is able to connect with people and give them a sense of pride. I mean you dont really think about it, but something as simple as a military band can instill a lot of hope or pride or even just memories, and that is something that is amazing that music can do.

Will Gossett said...

Jackson sounds like he has quite the life! It's so cool that through his position as Chief Audio Technician he gets to work with renowned musical artists as well as the oldest professional music organization in the US. I think it's neat that he gets to serve his country like the other members of his family. Before deciding to study technical theatre, I always thought a job in the military would be fascinating, and Jackson gets to live the best of both worlds.