CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Audio Effects Explained, Part 1 – Modulation

Pro Sound Web: A while ago I mentioned using modulation effects to help create movement within a mix.
In this article I’ll explain the different types of modulation effects that we have available for mixing.
The effects I’ll be explaining are:
-- Tremolo
-- Vibrato
-- Flanging
-- Phasing or Phase Shifting
-- Chorus
I’ll start with some easy ones then move on to the harder to explain, but more commonly used, effects.

2 comments:

Pia Marchetti said...

The best way to learn about this stuff is to find some software and play around with it. When I first got a Mac, I spend a lot of time, to the disdain of my parents, messing around in programs until they sort of made sense. I spent a lot of time using Garage Band and because of that I understand some basic audio effects. I would suggest that to anyone trying to understand this more. I'm not suggesting that Garage Band is the most sophisticated program for audio mixing and producing, but its very user friendly, which makes its very easy to pick up. Once you learn the basics, you can actually explore a lot of features and get deeper into the details. Being able to interact with something on a tangible level helps me learn things much better than just reading about it, especially something like audio production, which is very hard for me to understand.

Will Gossett said...

This article is very basic, but it does provide a generally good overview over some basic audio effects. I disagree with the line that says "All the effects listed use sine wave as the wave shape for the LFO," because that is not always the case. So many cool sounds can be made by using audio effects that use square, sawtooth, or triangle wave LFOs to modulate the sound differently than a smooth sine wave. The audio examples are a great help to learn what each of the effects sound like.