CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 05, 2011

An Unforgettable Affair With Photoshop

Sightlines: The standing ovation at the end of the third day said it all. The large group of tired but enthusiastic participants, whether total neophytes or experienced Photoshop illustrators, had all worked hard for three intense days of instruction, practice, and more practice. Though weary from focusing on computer monitors for hours each day, facing frustration and failure, and more hours finishing homework each evening, participants engaged in the work were spurred on by glimpses of the amazing range of possibilities that Photoshop offers the costume designer.

3 comments:

ranerenshaw said...

This is awesome. Diving head first into what DIck Block calls "Theatre Boot Camp," I left behind one of my greatest passions at home: Photoshop. The fact that the functionality of photoshop is being integrated into our realm of design is encouraging that one day my two worlds will collide. I hope that I get to employ this integration one day in a show whether it be for costumes or carpentry... I believe photoshop can be used in every dimension of theatre... from research to drafting to media renderings.

skpollac said...

This is so great to hear!! I have heard plenty about programs like Vectorworks and AutoCAD that assist scenic and lighting designers, but I have never imagined there would be a program that could assist costumers. Photoshop never crossed my mind. I am a huge proponent of designing by hand but I would be extremely interested in trying this out. Since this seems to be the direction the the theatre industry is heading towards it would be a great skill to know!

Sonia said...

I think Photoshop is absolutely a great tool to have in your work belt. I took the Photoshop class offered here last year and I really enjoyed it. I was the only production person in the class but there were almost all aspects of designers in that class, including costumes. Not being a natural with computer programs I was surprised to see how easy it really was to just start playing with it and figuring it out. There are really cool aspects to that program that really let you create some wonderful scenes. I can see how it can really be useful to designers in manipulating their work.