CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 21, 2011

Touring shows bookend CLO season

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Whether you describe the 2012 Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera season as two touring and four locally produced musicals or three new shows and three returning favorites, Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera's executive producer Van Kaplan is happily anticipating all six. "Every show is different. They all present their own challenges," Kaplan says. National touring productions of recent Broadway musicals "Come Fly Away" and "The Addams Family" will open and close the season.

2 comments:

Brian Rangell said...

What a combination of shows for this summer - I"m intrigued by the cross-presentation of The Addams Family between Broadway Across America, the CLO and the Cultural Trust. It's the only show of the CLO season covered by Cultural Trust season subscriptions, and may cause some interesting ticket fluctuations as compared with the other shows of the CLO season. I'm also intrigued by the differences in jumping from touring house to producing theatre in such quick succession as CLO's schedule does. Staff and crew hopping from show to show in a summer stock situation is already complicated - I can only imagine it gets even more difficult when you bring outside productions with their own rules and protocols in as well.

Robert said...

This seems like a great combination of shows that they are putting on. When I hear of places doing these types of works, they are putting on a lot of shows that are great to get people in, I am existed. I wonder how well they do with producing so many shows in such a short amount of time. I am sure that the shows that they bring in are great and that takes 2 shows off of their plate and all they have to do is just book them. I wonder if they build the other shows or just rent the sets in. I know that it is sometimes cheaper to just rent but then it is not nearly as original. I wish I could go see some of these shows but most likely I will be out of town during that time.