CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Strip performers dabble in community theater for pure love of it

Neon - ReviewJournal.com: Over there, they're LAS VEGAS -- their images encased in neon. Over here, they're Las Vegas -- their bios squeezed next to ads for Al Phillips the Cleaner. "Even performing in 'Folies' or 'Skintight,' I longed to be able to do really good shows," says Strip vet Traci Kesisian. "When Phil Shelburne directed 'Into the Woods' for Signature (Productions), it broke my heart that I couldn't do it. Here I was the lead in 'Folies Bergere,' and I'm dying to do this free community theater project. It's my passion."

2 comments:

Sonia said...

First of all I love that the picture that they use is from 'Damn Yankees' because that show holds a special place in my heart. But I have to say that I love that these performers go back to community theatre and the like, just because they love it. Not that I am surprised, because even though I am sure they love performing on both stages, it has to be nice to do a show that you dont practice for 14 hours a day or something obscene and then perform it every night. I love that they choose to go and perform outside of the Strip. It is too bad that there exists the animosity towards Strip performers from other actors. But that is to be expected, and I am sure that there are the Strip performers who deserve it and those that unfairly stereotyped. Regardless, it is good that people want to give back and continue to act in shows that they could have done in high school, while they are also performing in multimillion dollar hits just down the road.

Ariel Beach-Westmoreland said...

The interesting thing is that in Las Vegas, these actors will probably bring more of a crowd. I wonder if this is another mutation of having celebrities in Broadway performances, just the Las Vegas version. There is a certain promiscuity that comes along with Las Vegas, so I would not be surprised if the crowds grow in size.