CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Spider-Man’s Sound

Live Design: For all of the technical departments for Spider-Man, the scale of the systems was the primary challenge. “Spider-Man’s biggest challenge was really just sheer size,” says production sound engineer Simon Matthews. “The audio system is 50% larger than any other Broadway show. There are Cirque du Soleil shows that get pretty close but nothing on Broadway. From every aspect Spider-Man is larger than any other show.”

1 comment:

Robert said...

The amount of cable that they ran for this show is amazing and that is just sound. I wondered when I saw the show where the orchestra was if it was prerecorded or being piped in. It is interesting to hear that it is brought in from two different rooms. Also I was surprised to hear that all of the aerial performers have in ear systems. I wonder what they hear if it is cues or the shows audio? It is interesting how many channels of wireless there is on the show. I wonder if there is a program that allows you to put it where you are and what equipment you need to set up and tells you what to set all of your equipment? I am sure once the shows in the aire move out and someone else moves in they may have to redo some of their system. Also when I went to see the show I noticed that it was really hard to get cell service I wonder if you put in a faraday cage around the pully to cut down on outside interference.