CMU School of Drama


Friday, October 14, 2011

Producer says themes in 'Defending the Caveman' are 'universal'

Post Gazette: Rob Becker has had his regrets about titling his show "Defending the Caveman," a misnomer of a name that implies a heartfelt defense of knuckle-dragging chauvinists and an indictment of feminists. The show actually has harmony and understanding between the genders on its mind. Turns out, this is more of a date-night show than one just for the guys. Perhaps that's why it was the longest-running one-man show on Broadway and has spread its word on five continents.

2 comments:

Dale said...

I actually saw this show in Minneapolis in about 2000. I believe that it was the original guy who was doing a national tour. I really enjoyed it. I still think about some of the imagery he used from time to time. If you are married or considering marriage I complete recommend seeing it. Here is an issue I take with this show. What makes it theater? Wikipedia describes this show as, "a blend of stand-up comedy, lecture, and therapy session." I completely agree but what makes this a broad way show? Is Jerry Seinfeld or Charlie Sheen doing a stand up routine considered Theatre? No I would not say that it was. Yet, Defending the cave man is placed in to that category and I do not understand why. He is not playing a character or telling a story. It really is a lecture/ therapy session. Do not get me wrong. I enjoyed this presentation immensely but I would not consider it theatre.

abotnick said...

I actually saw this show too like Dale. I was younger and in high school but I still very much enjoyed the show and wanted to share it with other people. I do agree with Dale when he says that it is more of a stand-up routine than theater but isn't that just another genre of theater? Stand up comedy I think can still be considered theater. It involves performers and technicians, it's just a different type of genre. Anyway it's entertaining and enlightening and I would recommend this show to anyone looking for a good time and learning experience.