CMU School of Drama


Sunday, October 02, 2011

"Leavin' Soon for New York": The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess Ends A.R.T. Run Oct. 2; Broadway Is Next

Playbill.com: The Broadway-bound American Repertory Theater production of The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess, starring Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis, concludes its engagement Oct. 2 in Cambridge, MA.Porgy and Bess is getting new context thanks to Tony Award-nominated Hair director Diane Paulus, who has collaborated with Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Suzan-Lori Parks (Topdog/Underdog, Book of Grace) and Pulitzer Prize nominee Diedre Murray (Running Man) to bring the American folk opera to contemporary Broadway audiences.

2 comments:

K G said...

Being from around this area, it's cool to see a show from a nearby regional theatre go to Broadway. Unfortunately I did not have an opportunity to see this particular performance, but from other performances I have seen directed by Paulus, I am confident it is a unique take on the original. Her work is always innovative and is, in my eyes, more of what I enjoy seeing on Broadway. Shows that are strictly commercial endeavors are often less enjoyable than those of a more artistic nature. I am nervous about the large cast switch, as the cast often does something to create the energy within a show. Hopefully this new cast will work just as cohesively together to create the same magic which was obviously seen at the ART.

beccathestoll said...

I'm really excited to see how New York reacts to this production, since it's already gotten so much press from its Boston run, a letter from Stephen Sondheim notwithstanding. I know the New York Times review said that Audra McDonald's performance was just about legendary, but that the rest of the production seemed lacking. I'm hoping that they'll have a chance to do some re-tooling and clean up the bumps, but at the same time, I'd see Norm Lewis in just about anything, so I can't wait for the transfer!