CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 31, 2011

LDI: Friday recap

iSquint.net: This year is feeling rushed, and I learned why. The show floor in the past has been 9-6, and this year it is 10-5. The sessions are also 9-5, so there is a lot more juggling that needs to happen to see what needs to be seen, which is much more stressful than I thought it would be. Friday I attended a wonderful talk titled: Conversations with Richard Pilbrow and Tony Walton, highlighting their careers, their work together, and promoting their latest publications; it was great fun to hear their stories. Richard Pilbrow’s book “A Theatre Project” is out now, and is 468 pages of yummy goodness (a review will follow at some point once I absorb the 468 pages). Richard Pilbrow had a book signing Friday from 4-5, but there is another chance Saturday from 2-3 for folks who missed it or who are here only for the day. For more information on the book itself, visit his site here: A Theatre Project. An interactive e-book will also be available before the end of the year. Look for the Designs of Tony Walton to be out from USITT at their conference in March.

2 comments:

Calvin said...

Two parts of this article really caught my eye. I usually make it to the LDI convention in Las Vegas, but I've never been to the one in Orlando. I do know that the one in Orlando is smaller, and more Disney focused than the one in Las Vegas, but even the one in Vegas last year was smaller than it had been the time before it had been in Vegas, in 2008. The fact that they shortened the span of day makes me wonder if that is just because it is a smaller conference this year, so they didn't need as much time during the day, or if it is a change they are going to make for years to come. Personally I love the long days and the opportunities they provide to see everything you can.

The Source Four LED also caught my eye. I love the ETC Lounge and their fresh cookies, but I wish I could have been there to see the LED fixture they just put out. It sounds like it was pretty impressive and tackled head on a lot of common concerns with LED fixtures, such as Amber Shift and such. I do wonder how it will fare in the world. Its a fixture that has been long awaited in the industry, and I look forward to seeing how it does.

Jennifer said...

On the topic of Source Four's LED Fixture I think its really excited that they are producing a seven color mixing fixture, a tungsten looking fixture, and a daylight white fixture. I love that LEDs provide such a range of color and can mimic tungsten and daylight. In addition I'm surprised that you will be able to print gobos out from an inkjet printer for these new lights. I think that will prove to be very beneficial for the users.