CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 06, 2011

'Jesus Christ Superstar' Musical is Broadway-Bound

Backstage: What's the buzz? A hit production of " Jesus Christ Superstar" in Canada is coming south to Broadway.Producers announced Tuesday that the rock musical about the last days of Jesus written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice will hit New York in the spring, a move that was widely expected. Previews will begin on March 1 at the Neil Simon Theatre and an official opening is set for March 22. Des McAnuff, the artistic director of the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario, where the revival originated this summer, will again direct.

3 comments:

njwisniewski said...

YAY! I think this is a wonderful show to be on broadway, especially during this time, transitioning us through Hair, The Book of Mormon, and other plot/ style similar shows that are really making it big this season. I feel that it not only celebrates what is popular right now, but also honors the history of the underrated, older show itself, I think it will make a big splash and is a revival I actually would not mind seeing myself.

Sonia said...

WHERE'S THE CROSS?!!?!

JamilaCobham said...

I have never been able to truly appreciate "Jesus Christ Superstar" the musical. I guess I haven't fully accepted the rock and roll aspects of the account of Jesus's life! I would rather watch an old traditional movie. I however think that I may need to see this again and judge it, but I am yet again amazed that it has been revived yet again! Hopefully it never gets to a stage where it is "Jesus Christ Rap star", because that is my initial confused reaction whenever I think of this musical.