CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Crews dismantle State Fair's wrecked stage

The Indianapolis Star: Crews today began preparing to move the collapsed stage structure at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. The workers began dismantling the tarp covering the wreckage and got ready to take apart the scaffolding, said State Fair Commission spokeswoman Stephanie McFarland. Once its disassembled, the scaffolding will be stored elsewhere on the fairgrounds until it is moved to a warehouse in a couple weeks. Arrangements for the warehouse have not been finalized but it could be on the eastside.

2 comments:

A. Surasky said...

I hadn't realized that the scaffolding from the fair had was still in place hadn't been taken down since the tragedy a few months ago. It's interesting to see OSHA getting so involved and butting heads a little bit with the IATSE union. I'd be interested to see what the unions objections to the warrant, but I'm sure they are just trying to protect their workers the best they can. It'll be interesting with all the money they are putting in to investigating the accident to see what they conclude from it. Guess we'll find out in good time

Anonymous said...

The drama surrounding this search warrant is very interesting. If the union hall was not the employer of the stage hands for this job, why should they have to be searched? I would love to know why the warrant has been filed and what investigators think they might find in the union hall in the first place. I'm glad that people are getting to the bottom of the cause of this tragic and unnecessary event, but I feel bad for the family of Nathan Byrd. He is being investigated after his death in relation to his cause of death. This must be unsettling to the family. It would be hard for me to deal with if I found out that my dead family member may have accidentally caused his own death. I hope that's not the case, and I hope that the investigators can successfully find the cause of the collapse in order to prevent the exact same tragic event form happening again.