CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 27, 2011

13 Office Productivity Software Suites for Freelancers and Others

FreelanceFolder: No matter what your freelancing specialty is, odds are that you can benefit from the use of an office productivity suite. In fact, you may already be using one. What is an office productivity software suite? Simply put, it is a group of business-oriented software packages that are bundled together for distribution. The most common bundles include word processing and spreadsheet software, but other bundle configurations exist as well. Office productivity suites used to cost businesses hundreds of dollars, but freelancers should be aware that many low cost and even free options are now available. In this list, I’ve included 13 of the most popular office productivity software suites.

3 comments:

Brooke Marrero said...

Honestly, the only Office Suite that I use from this list is Microsoft Office, and I'm okay with that. The only other suite from this list that seems like something I would care to look into is the Google Apps for Business, and that's only because I usually enjoy apps that are created by Google and am more than willing to try any of them at least once. I wonder if I'm 'behind the times' in these types of software packages, or if maybe this list isn't as helpful, or conclusive, as the article intended it be. The article does have a "Your Turn" section at the bottom, asking for readers to comment with other productivity software suites that they use, implying that this list goes on much further than the 13 suggestions listed.

Reilly said...

I agree with Brooke here, I pretty exclusively use microsoft office and it doesn't leave a lot to be desired. It seems mainly like these other software suites are just imitating office with maybe more modern sounding names. It's also just more practical to use Microsoft office, since it is the most widely accepted software and therefore is most practical for sharing files across computers. It's also what we know how to use- a lot of us were taught how many years ago in school. And spending time to become familiar with another interface just seems like a waste when they don't offer much more, if anything, than Microsoft office.

Ethan Weil said...

I tried to transition into google docs and open office for a little while this summer, because I was without an office key. There are some distinct advantages in terms of portability, and sharing but there were also some disadvantages. I wasn't able to replicate the formatting that I am used to, and not all of the formulas were supported as well as in actual excel. None of the formatting is as consistent as I would hope, and it doesn't always print right to PDF. Overall, I'd love to stop using closed, for profit software, but until the feature parity is really there, I'll have to wait.