CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 21, 2011

World Maker Faire photos and take aways

Blog on EDN: First, thanks to those who offered advice on Maker Faire in this blog’s post on Friday. As I stated, this was the first Maker Faire I attended and I didn’t know what to expect. Dale Dougherty, a Maker Faire moderator and of Make magazine, summed up what I was thinking in my planning during a session on bringing more kids into STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). He was discussing why kids would come to Maker Faire and half joking said “What’s Maker Faire? I don’t know but it’s cool. Let’s go!” He continued to point out that it’s Maker “Faire,” not Maker Show or Maker Conference — a faire like a carnival full of exhibits, just like the World’s Fair was back in 1964.

1 comment:

Will Gossett said...

Being an avid reader of Make Magazine, I have always wanted to go to a Maker Faire. I think gearing lots of presentations towards kids at this Maker Faire was a great way to get them interested in how things work, instead of just the fact that they work. Knowing how something works and why it works is so much more valuable than simply knowing how to operate it. I would have liked to see more technical descriptions and photographs in the article. Maker Faire isn't just about kids' activities, although the photos seemed to make it look that way.