CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 29, 2011

Public Theater returns to drama's ancient roots with 'Electra'

Post Gazette: Around 500 to 400 B.C., give or take a few years, Sophocles and his playwriting contemporaries were treating Greek civilization to this new invention we now know as the drama. Their surviving works are revived today not just as historical artifacts, but because they knew something about a good yarn: unforgettable characters, crackling language and family dynamics could mean a hit at Epidaurus, the ancient equivalent of Broadway.

1 comment:

MaryL said...

There are always many reasons for presenting a classic. One is of course that the play has stood the test of time and the basic elements are applicable to present day. Most have vivid characters and a plot line that works through the generations with a few tweaks here and there. It also helps that the low cost of royalties (none) leave more money for other expenses such as set and costume. That being said, I looked at the picture of the cast and wondered what was the costume designer thinking? Perhaps this is the low budget show of the season, but I think more costume variety could have been found in my own closet. I struggled to see a pattern or some point the costume designer was trying to make, but it eluded me. I couldn't see a pattern in the costumes of the cast or even pick out who was Electra solely from the costume. I could guess, but I wasn't sure. I think this is less a "return to drama's ancient roots" and more of a reaction to budget cuts.