CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 30, 2011

Emotional cleanup on aisle 5 in The Rep's 'Lost Boy Found in Whole Foods'

Post Gazette: Wanting and trying to do the right thing don't always mesh with the reality of complex situations, a fact at the heart of "Lost Boy Found in Whole Foods." It's a play from the heart of Tammy Ryan, who, like Christine in the play, tried to connect with a group of the so-called "Lost Boys" of the Sudan, who were resettled here in 2001 after surviving a remarkable 800-mile exodus.

2 comments:

MaryL said...

After reading the article I wonder how well this will be accepted in Pittsburgh. I wish the cast and crew well, but don't share the author's optimism about people relating to Christine. I don't think people fail to reach out because they don't know what to do. I think they fail to reach out because they are consumed with their own difficulties. Maybe it is selfish, and since I've not actually seen the show, I may be totally off-base, but it has been my experience that people relate to characters that are like themselves. The Post Gazette didn't tell enough about the story to elicit my interest to go to see it because the reporter didn't show any part of these characters that I could relate to--that doesn't mean that rapport may not exist in the play. It means the article writer should have been less vague and more incisive.

Sophie said...

I agree with Mary. It doesn't seem like she will the most relatable character. I get that a lot of people want to do good but don't always know how, but this play seems very far from something I would empathize with. I like Mary have also not seen the play, so I am purely judging off of the article, but this article was not that in depth either.